Breaking Out Into Blogging

Breaking Bogart (01)

Welcome colleagues, students, and any other individual who may peruse my blog postings. I am Vaughn, a 24 year old CTE college instructor. My passion for learning and sharing my knowledge and insight has led me to partaking in OLP-4407 and starting this blog. Please enjoy.

  • Q: "What does your blog name, breaking bogart, mean?" 
Well, according to Merriam-Webster dictionary, bogart is defined as, "to use or consume without sharing." My motto for this course and associated blog is to embody the antithesis of this definition.
  • Q: Why you are starting this blog?
A:    I am starting this blog for many reasons. Chiefly, I am going to improve my networking and teaching skills. These improvements will begin to show as I work through any relevant social anxieties that I struggle against. Interacting with individuals outside of my small social bubble will be critical to broadening and refining my course-relevant perspectives. The anxieties mentioned relate to interacting with my peers in my industry, college, and the education world at large. By overcoming these anxieties, I will improve my knowledge sharing, communication, and reflection/solidification of my PLN journey. I am also starting this blog in order to begin discussion with my fellow students of OLP-4407.
  • Q: What will you be doing throughout OLP-4407?
A:    Coursework and self development
        I will be researching the use and applications of Professional/Personal Learning Networks (PLN's). Networks of interest to me include both historically successful networks as well as more contemporary Networks. I have selected a video and image interaction tool which has already peaked my curiosity, interest, and hunger for knowledge and understanding. I will develop/utilize my selected resources, which when combined with my expertise, will be used in a hands on manner within my own classroom.
A:    Blogging of experience: 
        Every week within Breaking Bogart you can expect in-depth discussions concerning many different facets of PLN's and technology tools. Discussions will review and analyze what PLN participants and technology tool experts have to say on their respective matters. (I do not expect to find the best sources immediately so hang in as I acclimate myself). I will do my best to provide examples on how and why discovered information is useful to me, my colleagues, and my students. I will synthesize "new" methods of application for existing technologies to the best of my ability and provide examples which demonstrate my progress.
  • Q: What do you hope to get out of the class and the blogging experience?

A:    learn more about how I can use technology to further student learning and interaction. Not only that, I am most excited to try and re-apply my students' passion for socialization online into an academic framework. This will benefit myself, colleagues and students They will benefit/gain in the sense of sharing their knowledge and improve their own personal learning. I will be training myself to be an expert in technology tools geared towards my instructional improvement. 

As I wrap up this first post here I would like to be clear and candid:

I hope to leave OLP-4407 with increased discipline in knowledge exchange, not just consumption. I will develop highly interactive, engaging and social ways of learning for my students. I understand that how I choose to communicate within a network and in the classroom will be more successful with some than with others. With that being said, my goal is not to change my core style of communication, but to re-frame it in a manner more socially and academically beneficial to those I interact with.

I look forward to discussing these topics in more depth with you all next week.

Peace out!

Vaughn.

Comments

The Ones Which Came Before